The Richland County Building Department enforces code requirements and regulates the construction of buildings and structures within the Department’s jurisdiction. We review and approve all plans and issue all permits required by the applicable, current codes for the construction, alteration, movement, enlargement, replacement, repair, equipment, use and occupancy, and location to all commercial and residential buildings and structures. Our primary mission is to insure the health, safety and welfare of the residents of Richland County and the areas under our jurisdiction.
We are located in the Longview Building at 1495 West Longview Ave., Suite 202A, Mansfield, OH 44906. We are just past the elevator when you come in the Main Entrance. Our phone number is 419-774-5517.
You are now able to pay for permits/fees online. Please click the link below to process your payment online using a Credit Card or eCheck. ** A Service Fee will apply **
The 2019 Residential Code of Ohio (RCO) takes effect for all residential applications filed on or after July 1, 2019. **
The RCO applies to all construction and use of One-, Two-, and Three-Family Dwellings and residential accessory structures (sheds, decks, garages, barns, pools, etc.). The 2019 RCO can be found on the State of Ohio’s websiteThe 2019 Residential Code of Ohio include the following reference standards:
- Electrical: 2018 National Electric Code
- Energy Code: 2018 International Energy Conservation Code. Please note, there are 5 methods of energy code compliance. Per the Ohio Home Builders Association Option, 2x4 exterior walls are still permitted with a minimum of R-13 batt insulation.
The 2017 Ohio Building Code and referenced standards are effective November 1, 2017 along with any amendments. Please see the Commercial projects
page for more information.New Commercial Building Plan Approval Fees Worksheet
has been developed to assist in the fee calculation process for Commercial projects. The Worksheet must be included with a Commercial Application.
- Smoke Alarms Save Lives - Install.Inspect.Protect - important information about smoke alarms in residential houses and dwellings can be found on our Residential Project Page
- Please visit our Forms page for applications, guides, checklists, fee schedules, and a list of Zoning Inspectors.
- Please visit our Links page for links to codes, state agencies, other Counties, and other Permitting agencies.
- Counties covered for Commercial Permits: Richland, Ashland, Crawford, Huron, Seneca, and Wyandot. Richland County for Residential permits except the City of Mansfield and the Village of Bellville.
- Richland County Soil and Water Department handles Stormwater permitting for unincorporated areas of Richland County only. Richland Soil and Water Conservation District.
- Applications are taken from 8 am-3:30 pm Monday through Friday.
- 24 hours advance notice is required for all inspections. Foundation inspections may be scheduled the day of until 8:30 am if the inspection schedule permits.
- Inspectors are available for code related questions form 8-8:30 am and 3:30-4 pm.
- Revised Sanitary Sewer District Rules and Regulations are posted on the Sanitary Engineering forms page
- New Flood Hazard Regulations and Maps are effective April 4, 2011.
- Significant Reforms were made to the National Flood Insurance Program effective July 6, 2012. Please see the Flood Insurance section for more information.