What information is required for an inspection?
All work to be inspected must be complete and accessible to the inspector. An approved set of plans and the permit card must be on site. The address or house number must be plainly visible and legible from the street or road fronting the property.
When can I have an inspection?
When the work is completely ready for inspection and a twenty-four (24) hour notice is given for such inspection.
Who should schedule an inspection?
Inspections may be scheduled by the owner, contractor, architect, or engineer. The person scheduling the inspection should make sure that all parties working on the job are aware of the inspection and make sure that the inspector can access the work to be inspected.
How do I schedule an inspection?
A twenty-four (24) hour notice is required for inspections. Please call our office at (419) 774-5517 and have the following information ready:
- Permit Number
- Project Name
- Project Location
- Type of inspection desired
- Date of desired inspection
Do I need to be present for an inspection?
No. The inspector does need to have access to the work to be inspected. If no one will be present during the inspection, please leave directions (i.e. - key location, lock combination, garage door code, etc.) for the inspector to gain access if the structure will be locked.
When do you inspect?
We inspect Residential permits in Richland County Monday-Friday.
We regularly inspect commercial permits as follows:
- Richland County: Monday-Friday
- Ashland and Huron Counties: Monday, Wednesday, Friday
- Crawford, Seneca, and Wyandot Counties: Tuesday, Thursday
If these scheduled days present a problem for a specific situation, please call our office prior to scheduling an inspection and every effort will be made to accommodate the specific situation.
Can you schedule an inspection time?
Unfortunately, we cannot give inspection times or appointments when the inspection is scheduled. The inspection schedules are made the day of the inspection. Please call our office after 8:30 am the day of the inspection and an approximate 2-hour window will be given as to when the inspector will be on the job site.
Can the inspector call prior to making an inspection?
If requested at the time of scheduling, the inspector will call approximately 30 minutes prior to the inspection.
What types of inspections are required?
Depending on the type of construction, you could have the following inspections:
- Footing inspection- after reinforcing steel is placed and prior to placing concrete
- Poured concrete wall inspection- reinforcing steel is placed and prior to placing concrete
- Underslab- after reinforcing steel is placed and prior to placing concrete
- Electrical Service- prior to connection of the electrical service.
- Rough-in Electric/Mechanical- prior to covering walls or ceilings; done with Structural Framing inspection.
- Structural Framing- Prior to covering walls; done with Rough-in electrical inspection.
- Above Ceiling- After hanging ceiling grid, prior to placing ceiling tiles.
- For projects with a Richland County Sanitary Sewer permit, an inspection is required by the Richland County Wastewater division. Please call the Wastewater Division at (419) 774-4002 and schedule and inspection prior to placing backfill in the trench.
- Final Building and Electrical- prior to moving in items including but not limited to furniture, stock, appliances, or equipment.